Hacksaw Ridge - Maybe I would die?

The post on Dunkirk made two things pretty clear; I hate history and I hate war films. Now onto the exception; Hacksaw Ridge. This movie may just be exactly what this genre needs. Normally when I watch war films, it creates the same type of vibe. You see the brutality but you know the main characters aren't going to die and therefore don't feel any real 'threat'. However, Mel Gibson who directed this, created the most realistic depiction of war that when I left the cinema I was glad I've never had to fight in one. When I watch war films, I think to myself "I could've survived a war" but holy shit, after this film, I'm out. I'm good. War ain't for me. 


Despite the brutality of it all, the move found respite in both the love story involving Private Dost (Andrew Garfield) and the humour deployed by Sergeant Howell (Vince Vaughn). 
While, you may be thinking that's all Vince Vaughn does, comedies, he can't make serious movies, let me tell you this, man can act. 
He does comedy's because a) he's good at em and b) they make money. 
Since Jarrhead, many war films have tried to replicate the hilariousness and meanness of the 'barracks scene" designed to make soldiers tougher by ripping them to shreds in front of everyone.
 Many appear to try too hard and don't pull it off. I was sceptical when I knew the scene was coming but Vince Vaughn pulls it off.
Watch it below


I also like the overall message of the movie. Private Dost, despite not believing in violence and never carrying a weapon, he never wafers under scrutiny, standing up for what he believes and never holding the resentment his fellow soldiers had for him against them when they were in need of him. I came away from this film with an appreciation for soldiers (rip) and just a reminder to be a good dude.

Papa Bless

Niall


Comments

Popular Posts